How TikTok Transformed Social Media in 2020 and What This Means for 2021
In 2020 Tiktok changed social media, both in the way it is produced and shared. 2020 was definitively the year of going TikTok Famous. Suddenly a new creator emerged with millions of followers – the TikToker. This opportunity for instant virality makes TikTok a must for any creator or business looking to grow their online presence.
TikTok changed social media and it was undoubtedly the platform of 2020. In 2020, TiktTok’s audience exploded to 800 million active users making it a bigger platform than the more well established LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, and Snapchat. This also means there is a massive audience that can allow your content to go into the stratosphere.
A massive opportunity for views
The average user was spending 52 minutes on the platform with 1 billion videos viewed every day across the app, which explains why 2020 was also the year so many new creators began blowing up and becoming ‘TikTok famous’. It is fair to say that Charli D’amelio, Addison Rae, Zach King, Spencer X, and Bella Poarch would not have been well recognised names even a year ago.
To the 🐝 🐝 🐝 ##fyp
Can you become TikTok famous?
Tiktok has changed social media and what it means to be an online public figure. It has been incredible to watch as so many TikTok users have been able to massively increase their TikTok follower count by thousands every day. After many years of frustration and doubt from creators around algorithmic ranking on other social media platforms, it would seem that TikTok has an algorithm that is allowing some creators to be found and then grow.
We have come across many examples of creators going viral out of nowhere. Below are some examples that we thought were a unique look into creators who had gone TikTok famous and wondered how to follow it up.
The really outstanding thing about TikTok has been that many users who exploded did not have huge existing followings but were able to go viral almost overnight. This is a change to how social media popularity has worked on other platforms. So in other words if you are thinking to yourself, who can become popular on TikTok, do you need thousands of followers to blow up on Tiktok? The answer, at least for now, is no. This is a huge breakthrough for anyone who is online and creating content.
Understanding the TikTok algorithm
The game changer is in the TikTok algorithm and basing every users feed around the FYP (For You Page) with content generated by the algorithm. TikTok has said that the algorithm “recommends content by ranking videos based on a combination of factors — starting from interests you express as a new user and adjusting for things you indicate you’re not interested in, too”. With this approach, TikTok has changed social media.
This means it will bring in information such as:
- User information – where you are based, language, who you are following and who follows you
- Engagement on the app – what you are liking, watching, commenting on, and sharing
For a user, the app appears to quickly learn and change the content it shows, allowing you to discover increasingly relevant and interesting content. So it is no surprise that people find themselves hooked.
How can creators and businesses use TikTok?
For creators joining other platforms such as Instagram, the challenge has been breaking through on a platform with established early adopters who have amassed thousands of followers. This can feel like an impossible challenge. There is nothing more discouraging than spending hours on a new youtube video or another piece of content only to have a few views.
While not everyone is guaranteed success, TikTok seems to understand giving people a taste of virality can be a massive pull. Even if you have zero followers there is still a chance of amassing thousands of views on your latest video and growing hundreds more TikTok followers.
If you are yet to jump on to TikTok, here are some tips to get you started growing on an app that could super charge your online following:
- Try Trends. Trends are rampant on TikTok. Examine the current trends and see if you can put your personal spin on them.
- Use a viral sound. As much a TikTok is a visual platform it’s also an auditory one and sounds are really important for captivating your audience. TikTok tells you what the current viral sounds on the platform are, if you can find one that works with your content, use it. Users may stick around for the video on the basis of liking the sound alone.
- Find your niche and post content for consumers of that niche. Be a part of Food Tiktok, Small Business TikTok, Music TikTok, whatever floats your boat TikTok.
- Duet people! If you discover a video you like, duet it to showcase your take on the content. If that video has already gone viral this increases the chances of your video also being seen.
- Make videos that advise or teach people something new. Entertainment videos are amazing, but there is also a huge appetite to learn on TikTok as well.
- Make sure to link your other social media accounts to your TikTok page. As you begin to grow a following on the app, you can use it as funnel to introduce people to content on your other platforms.
- Don’t be afraid to take risks. TikTok videos are not as polished as what you often see on other social media platfoms such as Instagram and YouTube. Take advantage of this and use this as an opportunity to take risks when it comes to your content.
It will be fascinating to see how this develops further in 2021. As the app gets saturated with more and more content it may become harder for users to get the same overnight success. Even today, if you are a creator on TikTok there are huge benefits from not just relying on the algorithm alone to grow your TikTok following. Always be looking out for how you can find other people in your niche to share your work and help grow your audience.
If you are thinking of joining TikTok, or you are already on the platform and are thinking about how to grow your audience then use beloudr to tell our community about your content. beloudr members share each other’s content, allowing users to reach further than the could ever do alone. Build a network of Shoutouts for your content with other talented creative individuals.